Re: comp oil cooler?

To: Daniel Neuman <dneuman@quark.sfsu.edu>,
Subject: Re: comp oil cooler?
From: Chris Coker <chriscoker@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 19:26:30 -0500
Daniel,

I removed my original factory comp oil cooler from the race car.  I replaced
it with stainless braided lines, a remotely mounted filter (mounted on the
inner fender where the battery normally sits), and a Mocal oil cooler.  My
reasoning - the fittings on the comp. cooler setup are some sort of odd
thread pitch that I was never able to identify.  If I ever need to make a
repair at the track, I wanted to make sure that I would be able to easily
find components.

The only hard part to this was connecting the lines to the engine block.  Do
not use one of those adapters that spin on in place of the oil filter.
There will be enough pressure drop in the system that the bypass valve in
the filter base will stay open all the time, and your oil will be
unfiltered, and un-cooled.

My solution was to custom make an adapter that replaces the filter base.  I
CNC machined it out of aluminum, and it is threaded for 1/2" NPT fittings.
As it turns out, I am going to be making a few more, as I need one for my
second race motor, and it is good to have spares.  Let me know if you are
interested.  I can send you pictures of my setup, and pictures of the
adapter itself.

The alternative is to block off the pressure relief valve inside the stock
oil filter base, and use one of those spin-on adapters.  Not as elegant a
solution, in my opinion, but you can make it work.

Happy Roadstering,

--
Chris Coker
69 1600 SPL311       http://mywebpages.comcast.net/chriscoker/roadster.html