Specific SR20/ KA24DE Qs

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Specific SR20/ KA24DE Qs
From: "milton3" <milton3@pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 11:32:39 -0600
Howdy folks:

It seems that I couldn't find a buyer to preserve the integrity of my '69
SRL shell.  So, I'm gonna get her roadworthy again.

I've decided on an SR20DE or KA24DE swap.  I've done a lot of web
research on this swap, but I'm left with a few questions.  I'm hoping
some of you that have been there/done that can help me with the
answers.

Questions:

Ok, so I can mount either motor resulting in a rather seamless fit of the
motor and transmission into the car.  What solutions are required to fit
the transmission to the drive-shaft?  Is it a bolt-up that is accomodated
by the drive shaft slip fit?  Or, is it a cut, weld and balance job?

I'm leaning toward the SR20DE because the japan market motors are
lower mileage units than the KA motors I can source locally.  I
understand from the 240SX crowd that the life of a KA is about 200K,
and I haven't found one under 150K miles yet ...  I also understand that
the SR motors are a drop in replacement for the KA motors in the
240SX chassis.  Does this mean that each of these motors fit into the
same location in our Roadsters?  I ask because I am purchasing some
prefab motor/tranny mounts that were designed to fit the KA motors into
our Roadsters.  But, I'm now expecting to fit an SR motor to these
mounts.  I've heard that the SR motors may be taller, but since the SR's
are square'd bore/stroke motors this seems counter-intuitive, and I
would expect them to be shorter than the KAs.

Since I am dealing with unknowns when buying an SR motor, I plan to
install a new clutch kit.  What clutch kit do I need to order?  Can I order
by part number from US Nissan dealers?  If so, what are the part
numbers, and what is the expected wait time?

Does anyone have an ETM (electrical troubleshooting manual), a pinout
diagram for the ECM, or a list of necessary connections for the Japan
Market SR20DE that I can use to blend the modern electrical motor into
my classic roadster electrical system?  I need to know which wires will
require juice, and which wires are associated with ignition, charging and
guage (coolant temp, oil temp, oil pressure, etc.) sender output so that I
can steal this information for aftermarket guages (yes, I'm type A
<smile>).

Can anyone elaborate regarding the requirements to drive my
speedometer, or will I need to go aftermarket there too?  I understand
that I'll need some sort of elbow fitting, but I'm not clear on how to
source this part.

I'm going to need a shifter - anyone recommend a nice short shifter?  I
expect to use the same hole in the tranny tunnel, but I'm not familiar
with the available Nissan options.

Thanks very much for taking the time to share your experiences.  And,
thanks to the folks that have already collected information and
documented their swaps.  Naturally, I still have questions, but this is TX,
and I'm missing prime top down weather right now.  So, I look forward to
minimizing my additional down time as much as possible.

And, FWIW, I'll have lots of miscellaneous U20 and 5 speed parts
available soon.

Milton
'69 Beauty Queen preparing for surgery
75 deg and sunny weather calling