Weber carbs, and Volvo brakes

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Weber carbs, and Volvo brakes
From: "Don Boyd" <dbji@whidbey.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 10:51:08 -0800
A few things from recent posts to the list.
    Weber carbs: Up to 150 Hp, use two 40 dcoe's pretty much regardless of
engine size. You will get much better low and mid range throttle response, and
the same top end (or within a few Hp...) The 45s will feel faster, but it's
only because of the gaping hole in the midrange.....
Example: Lotus elan sprint.  dual 40s, 32mm venturis,128 hp
example: otherwise stock BMW 2002s work better on 40s than the typical 45 that
people put in them.Its only with a well developed engine making over 150
hp(which is not easy on the 2002 because the head has terrible port shape and
really needs welding.)
    Mind you, this is if your engine is well developed. If your engine specs
are out of balance , like if you've stroked your 1600 and haven't checked port
flow and valve sizes to match the increased displacement, then your breathing
system will be on the small side, and will make great mid range(which means
don't go too big on your cam, like maybe 240 deg @ .050) , but don't try to
get 45s to match.
BRAKES:
The Volvo 140 inj caliper have the same bolt spacing and mounting flange to
rotor centerline to bolt on. I haven't checked this on a datsun yet, but just
went through it on another car that uses the same caliper . Should work fine,
but you'll need to adapt to the dual inlet on the Volvo hyd system. We decided
to go another way using high friction pads (SAE J866a rated GF), and the newly
available 2 1/4 dia cylinders for the Dunlop/Sumitomo calipers. (instant 15%
increase in line pressure)
    If I remember correctly, the original pads are EF rated which is a 40%
decease in cold friction.(less than 400 deg F). Total is about a 50-55 %
increase in brake performance cold. If you regularly fade your front brakes,
the you'd want a kevlar pad, but you'd pay a 25% price in cold stopping
performance.

Disclaimer:  Yeah I am in the biz, but not really roadsters per say. And yes,
I do sell the equipment, so take my recommendations for exactly what you paid
for the info.....   :)
Don Boyd
Mechanical Services
Whidbey Isl. WA.