'64 1600 is running...sort of

Subject: '64 1600 is running...sort of
From: "The Hoovers" <audela2@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 20:32:07 -0700
We got the '64 1600 somewhat running.  After a lot of troubleshooting and
help from list members, we swapped out the distributor and lo & behold, it
fired up, although it idles WAY too high.  We tried setting the timing to 0
(the previous distributor was pre-smog, this one is a smog distributor)at
700 rpm but when it gets down close to 0 it starts sputtering & dies. We've
installed a different set of carbs so we have to adjust those too, but until
we set the timing the Roadster just heats up real quickly.

Is it possible the distributor is off by a tooth, as we've seen described on
the archives?  We're hoping not, because it seems awfully complicated to get
it in right.

Charlotte & Leonard Hoover
Phoenix, AZ
'64 SPL310 1500