more spark questions

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: more spark questions
From: ambradley@attbi.com
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 03:35:45 +0000
OK, I've replaced points, condenser, cap, rotor, wires, and plugs.  I am
getting no spark.  I have 12 volts going to the condenser, 8 volts going to
the points.  When open, the non-charged side of the points is grounded, I
checked with a continuity tester.  I have 12 volts to the coil, continuity
through the ballast resistor.  It does not fire with the key in the start
position; I don't have an easy way to test the ON position to see if it fires
then.  The coil tested fine at the local AutoZone, though I will buy a new
coil tomorrow.

My question is, what triggers the coil to fire?  What should I see (be able to
test), and where?  Should I show 12 volts between the + and - on the coil, or
only when the points are open, or only when the points are closed?  I assume
something changes in the + and/or - leads to the coil, otherwise, what would
trigger it to fire?