Re: Rebuilding the Alternator

To: nmleeds@mindspring.com
Subject: Re: Rebuilding the Alternator
From: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 19:17:17 -0500
The rear bearing holds the rotor shaft to the rear case.

I have separated them using a very technical tool... clamp the rotor
while tapping around the edge of the rear case with a WOODEN stick
(hardwood) with a small hammer. Small light taps all around it... too
much force, you'll bust the case.

First time getting one together, had a heck of time getting the slip
ring in past the brushes. Finally noticed a small hole in the case.
Hold brushes back into the holder, slip a paperclip through hole,
reassemble... pull paper clip out and the brushes spring back into
position.

If you are really intent on rebuilding it yourself, you could wind your
own coils! I did that, but to use an alternator as a heavy duty stepping
motor. Limited success, but basically you need to find an old garage
manual that explains how to rewind the coils! http://www.lindsaybks.com/
Careful on those books, next thing you'll know is you'll dragging home a
metal lathe, milling machine, welders... and looking for a place big
enough for everything. <grin>

Good luck!

Tom

P.S. Few folks have inquired on my machine products... sorry no shop at
current time... I'm looking at 2004 before having a productive shop once
again!