Re: Cracked 1600 exhaust manifold

To: Keith0alan@aol.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cracked 1600 exhaust manifold
From: "Bill Murdock" <rdstrng@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 13:30:00 +0000
Keith,

Several years ago I TIG welded my stock 2000 manifold and it held up well.

I removed all visible rust and corrosion from the crack, wirebrushed the
area to be repaired, and used  ER70S 1/16 filler wire. I used a welder with
foot pedal amperage control which is helpful when welding material of
varying thickness.

Besides keeping the manifold straight by bolting to your spare head, make a
jig to locate the outlet end of the manifold in relationship to the head
mating surface. Even if you can't keep it rigid enough to keep the tailend
from moving, it will tell you if anything warped or pulled out of shape. You
can then rework to get it where it needs to be before snaking the manifold
down between the starter and frame. If you only have a small repair to do,
it probably won't pull out of shape too much.

Bill Murdock
'68 2000