Front Suspension Fixed

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Front Suspension Fixed
From: "Jim Cawrse" <nqrithjim@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 02:03:39 +0000
Well, I finally got around to shimming out the front suspension
for some neg camber, and replacing the slightly loose
idler pivot.  It is amazing how a tiny bit of play in that idler
translates into some significant slop at the tire.  I am greatly indebted to
the guy I bought the torched off low milage front end from a few
years ago....have saved much money as I slowly replace worn front
end parts.

I took SAKE RKT over to the firestone dealer, my freind the 510
enthusiast was working there, and he spent several hours
lining up the toe, and straightening out the tie link, which
I had not noticed was slightly bent.  My guess at camber was about right,
as there is btwn .8 and 1 deg neg on each side.  He and his helper
disapeared for a test ride, and came back with big smiles and warm
tires.  "Wow this thing is fast"  $37 dollars later, and I was on my way.

The front end bites noticably better now, and steering effort is strangely
higher.  The car drifts and oversteers easier now also, I guess because
the front is working harder.

I did this on Saturday so I could autocross on Sunday, but it was raining
hard all day, so I was good and went to Church instead.  I will be
ready the third Sunday of June though!

I can now report that every single thing on the car is in good working
order except the clock, and it has started working a bit on its own.
It was 3:11 last year, and now its darn near 6.  I think it works for
awhile when I go over bumps.

Best Regards,
and happy roadstering.
Jim Cawrse