Temperature gauge & sending unit

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Temperature gauge & sending unit
From: "Jon and Maggie" <jm.rider@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 07:37:38 -0700
Owen,
Before you test either of those, I'd try another very simple test.  I'd take a
wire and ground it to the frame or body close to the temp sending unit and
then attach it to the outside shell of the sending unit.  I did it on mine
just behind the larger nut (between the casing and the large nut on the
sending unit).  The sending unit must be grounded for it to work properly.
This is normally accomplished with the use of the correct gaskets that have a
small piece of copper in them to maintain the ground path.  If the wrong
gaskets were used or if the ground path has been broken through age, your temp
won't read.

I had the same problem when I first purchased my '69 2000.  This ended up
being a very simple solution.  I actually still have the wire attached as I
see no need to fix it until I have need of a new thremostat.  It has worked
fine.  It is critical that you know what the temp is running at too!

Regards,
Jon
'69 2000
Bothell, WA

Regarding the question;
Does anyone know if there's a way to check a temperature gauge & sending
unit to find out what one is bad. Thanks.

Owen
Hillsboro, OR
68' 2000
70' 1600 parts car