Rear Axle

To: "Datsun-Roadsters List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear Axle
From: "Jessica" <windsurfer@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 20:21:59 -0400
Well that was easy!!  The axle came out very easily and I guess that the good
news is that it's not broken.

So here's what happened.  When I added my 15" wheels, I noticed that on the
passenger side rear, the tire was close to the fender.  When I drove, it
didn't seem to be a problem so I figured all is okay.  After about ~600 miles,
as I drove slowly down the street, I heard a rubbing noise and noticed that
the tire was just hitting the fender.  This could be caused by
1) spring broke
2) axle broke
3) bearing in axle no good
4) U-bolt that holds the rear end on slipped

Well, since the passenger side rear was rubbing, I figured that it  where the
axle would be broken.  The axle came off  very easily.  However, it is not
broken, actually looks really nice.  The bearings also seem to roll smoothly.
The U-bolts look intact and the springs look okay.

I attached pictures of the spring and the clearance between the bump stop and
chassis  (see below) it is ~ 3.5 "  I don't know if that is good or bad or
maybe the springs are bad.

I also attached a picture that I am concerned about.  When I wiped the inner
part of the rear end where the axle goes into the rear, there is a gouge in
the metal where the bearings sit.  Not sure if that is a major problem??  Hope
that it's not.  When you view the picture, look where the green arrow points.
Any comments are welcome..

http://community.webshots.com/user/ivin100

Sorry for the long post but I am in need of advice.

Thanks,

Ivin