Tires for a 2000

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Tires for a 2000
From: Andrew Taylor <tayloran@mail.med.upenn.edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 19:29:03 -0400
Hello everybody,

So I've finally gotten around to getting the '70 roadster that I
bought a couple of years ago ready to go and out of the garage.  Went
for my first real drive in the car the other day, and I can't wait
for more.  But, before I go too much further I'm going to need some
new tires, 'cause the ones left on by the previous owner are about as
bald as they come.

I've been looking around at performance tires, and two tires have
caught my eye.  One is the Yokohama AVS ES100 (runs about $90 per
tire installed), and one is the Falken Azenis Sport, which would run
around $60 or so per tire installed.  In either tire, I'd be running
a 195/60/14 on steel 14x5.5 rims.

In terms of price to performance, the Falkens seem like a great
choice, but I'm not an autocrosser, and although I don't plan on
taking my car OUT in the rain, it seems possible that I might be
bringing it home in the rain.  So, are these tires too specialized
for somebody who wants the car to really handle well, but on the
street?  Should I get the Yokohama's or something similar even though
they are more expensive?

Any and all opinions appreciated.

Andrew Taylor

Philadelphia, PA