white smoke signals what?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: white smoke signals what?
From: Geegc@aol.com
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 11:37:14 EDT
My 1966 1600 is parked for long periods (and I assume than an inanimate
object can't be jealous of my 2000) and when I start it up it emits a huge
cloud of
white smoke.  Since I know it is not a Native American signaling for
reinforcements, I assume that it is either the valves, rings or carburetion.

The smoke goes away, mostly, when it warms up, but even then it smells of
exhaust, and gives my wife an excuse to complain.

The engine has not been gone through for 20 years, and the last time it was
done was by someone only marginally competent.

Suggestions?

Gary C
red one
red one