Re: white smoke signals what?

To: <Geegc@aol.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: white smoke signals what?
From: "Damian Hall" <datsun_nut@ns.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 15:23:38 -0300
Acts like a slightly leaky head gasket that is leaking until metal expansion
from heat tightens it up.

The white smoke is coolant misting into the combustion chamber and the smell
may appear sweet, from the antifreeze/ethylene glycol coolant.

It may also have a miss during the warmup/expansion stage, but this might
not be noticeable with the engine during fast idle.

Options.....

1. Very cheap, not recommended but it depends on the depth of your pockets.
leaks. Corn husks are a component of this product. Follow the instructions
to the letter.

2. A great deal more costly.......Head gasket replacement, which should
include pressure test and may require resurfacing. Often also requires new
rings (depends on age/mileage) which leads to bottom end service.....

These are from a generic mechanical point of view, rather than specific
Datsun 1600's. Wiser heads than mine may have better recommendations.

BTW- keep a close eye on the coolant level. An engine which overheats can
quickly run into BIG money,

Good luck,

Damian Hall
Pictou NS