Distributer Timing

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Distributer Timing
From: Scott Haynes <sh92@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 21:24:46 -0400
Got my engine back in today. Won't fire though.
Re-aligned the distibuter gear to make sure it was at 11:30 (looking at it from
the pax side). The points on the distributer are sitting right on the middle of
the lobe, wide open, with the distributer turned all the way ccw. I can't turn
the distributer aft far enough to get them to the closed position. I even tried
adjusting the upside down screw on the bottom for some more travel, but still
not enough.
I am leary of moving the distributer gear fwd one tooth. I think this would put
it aligned at about 12:30/6:30 position. Just doesn't seem right but may solve
my problem.
Anyone have any tricks or suggestions on setting the timing so I can get it to
fire?
Also, what is involved in switching to a petronix distributer. I may have a
loose distributer shaft bearing. How will that affect the petronix setup?
-Scott Haynes
WPB, FL