No Spark!

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: No Spark!
From: Scott Haynes <sh92@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 21:15:34 -0400
In trying to get my engine running, I set things up as advised earlier. The
crank is at 15deg, points are set to just open but still nothing.  I checked
the points with the hey on as Gordon suggested and found I had no spark across
the gap when moving the points open and closed.
I cleaned the points with alchohol but still no luck.  I found that if I jumper
a wire from the positive battery terminal to the positive side of the coil, I
get a great spark. With the key on, I am only showing about 24 millivolts at
the positive terminal.  After looking at the schematics I see that there is a
resistor tied in either series or parallel depending on which print you look
at.  No reference to the size or reason for the resistor.
Can anybody take a multimeter out to their car and check to see what kind of
voltage you are getting at the "+" side of your coil (on a 2000) with the key
on.
I'm pretty bummed to have come this far with this engine change only to get
stumped by a stray electron.
Thx,
-Scott Haynes
69 2k work in progress