RE: No Spark!

To: "Scott Haynes" <sh92@bellsouth.net>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: No Spark!
From: "Tom Hendricksen" <tom@fransfancies.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 19:10:08 -0700
Scott,

The resistor you speak of is in series with the coil when the ignition
switch is in the RUN position.

When the ignition switch is in the START position, the batter voltage is
applied directly to the + side of the coil, bypassing the resistor to
generate a better spark with the high current load of the starter.

You should have at least 12 volts on the input side of the resistor, and a
few volts less at the + terminal of the coil.  At least 8 volts or so I
would think.  If you have 12 or so volts going into the resistor, and
essentially nothing on th + coil terminal, the resistor is probably bad, or
there is a defective wiring connection somewhere between the resistor and
coil.

You can download a 69 roadster schematic from the TECH STUFF page on my web
site.  It is a scan of the 69 owners manual that has been cleaned up and
color coded for unfused, unswitched fused, and ground circuits.  It is a 2
Meg plus download for the PDF file, but very useful when you need it.
Especially for a 69 model car.

Tom
69 2000
Portland