top frame rehab

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: top frame rehab
From: Andrew Taylor <tayloran@mail.med.upenn.edu>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 12:03:51 -0400
Hi everyone,

I'm working on rehabing my top frame and front bow, which are in good
mechanical condition but need a complete cosmetic rehab.  Couple of
questions for the group.

1) I've removed all the oxidation from the frame, leaving me with a
smooth but still stained metal. Should I metal prime and paint silver?
Black?  Just clear lacquer?  What will work and look the best?  I don't
have the money or the interest in anodizing, electroplating, powder
coating, etc.  I just want the frame to work smoothly, look good and not
re-rust in 5 minutes after I install it.

2) The top bow.  Not cracked and still strong, but all the vinyl etc. is
a total loss.  I'm going to strip and sand it smooth, and then what?
I'm going to have a pro install the top, but should I prime and paint it
black?

3) Does anyone have experience with the vacuformed front bow padding
available from one of the Datsun vendors?  Is that worth the money?

I'd like to just present the upholsterer with a clean, functional frame
and top bow so that I can keep my installation costs and hassle to a
minimum.

Thanks,

Andrew
1970 2000 SRL311-13183