Re: Rust attack

To: ROADSTER LIST <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rust attack
From: E Scanlon <escanlon@worldaccessnet.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 11:50:08 -0700
Chris;

As an ex body-man, here are your choices:

Get a new fender.  Maybe impossible to do, or prohibitive in cost.  This is your
typical Dealer option.  Far cheaper and faster to remove and replace than it is
to fix.

Replace the rusted metal.  This involves welding / brazing / riveting as well as
metal forming experience.  Not recommended for those without the necessary
clamping tools in order to patch into place properly.  Compressor required for
cutting and finishing the panel.  Very time consuming, can get expensive BUT it
is the accepted mode of repair as far as body shops go.

Fiberglass the back.  Main problem with this is that in order to patch in
fibreglass properly onto metal, you need to sandwich the metal between an inner
and outer layer of fibreglass.  ==>--<==  In areas where there is a very close
tolerance fibreglass can prove to be too thick or not flexible enough.  If you
make the repair stiff, as fibreglass is wont to do, then you'll loose some of
the
flexibility and hence some of the adjustability of the fender.

This last option worked for me on my 71 240Z where I had the same problem on the
front fenders.

I used a product called POR-15 paint along with their "Power Mesh" matting.
This
Power Mesh is a single layer fibreglass strand mat, unlike your standard
fibreglass matting that has several layers and therefore is thick to begin with.
Use of their POR with the matting yields a very strong and yet pliable surface
that protects against rust.  I applied this to the inside of the fender in order
to fill the pin-holes as well as provide a rust barrier for the body work I was
going to do from the front.

I think it worked great.  I finished off the front with body filler and ended up
with a very thin skin coat.

2"
Enrique Scanlon