chain noise

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: chain noise
From: Ray Cole <raycole@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 19:05:59 -0700
Just returned from a great time at Shasta.

Ran back to Stockton at an average of about 80mph and the car felt strong.

However, I am starting to hear chain noise on startup, especially if the
engine is already hot.  Seems to diminish and disappear as soon as it gets
oil pressure.

I had new chains put in just a few months ago and was told that the
sprockets were worn but should be OK for awhile.  I am starting to question
that.

The real question is:  I saw someone at Shasta who had used a plastic tie
as tensioner shim.  Is this a temporary fix for my chain noise?  Good idea
or not?

I now have new sprockets and chains but don't want to put them in right now
unless I have to.

Thanks much.

Ray

68 2000