OT 510 story but sort-of related

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: OT 510 story but sort-of related
From: frankr@hwcn.org (Frank Roggeband)
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 22:07:52 -0400
It's been a while since I posted anything. It's been a while since I have
done anything. Since I last posted I wrote off my truck on the side of a
police car. No injuries but LOTS of damage. The insurance settlement was
double what I expected, I guess they were afraid I might sue because the
cop was entirely at fault, so I was able to replace the truck and eliminate
my high interest debt. My Chiropractor was not amused though. In the space of
six months I fell off a roof, separated my shoulder and smashed my truck.
Three separate incidents btw.

As for the 510 story. It is roadster related since the 510 is taking up
a lot of garage space. Got to finish the 510 to make room for the roadster.

Friday was to be my garage clean up day, however after opening both doors
the 510 was looking right at me. Well who could resist an old Datsun? I
had been planning to tear down the motor to see if the l18 head was a
peanut head and what type of porting job the previous owner had done.
I'm not trying to offend any previous owners out there but this guy had
NO idea what porting a head and matching ports/gaskets is all about.
He used an aftermarket gasket set and proceded to grind just the openings
of the intake ports to a crude funnel shape all the way back to the gasket.
Then did the same to the manifold resulting in a port configuration that
suddenly bulges for about a half inch where the gasket is. NOT good.

Lucky for me I never throw anything out. At least not if it says Nissan or
Datsun on it or came from/fits on a Nissan/Datsun. I have a complete head
with three angle grind ported and matched to a manifold, lumpy camshaft with
matching valve springs and retainers and dual weber dcoe's. All that remains
to be done is to sort out a throttle linkage and one of those famous Datsun
two size rubber hoses. Those of you with l-series motors know what I mean.
The 510 now has the above listed parts on an l20-b block with close ratio
5spd and a roadster clutch. Next on the list is 280zx brakes and paint for
a real cool screaming wagon.

Once the 510 is mobile the roadster can come apart again. Then of course

Today at work I was thinking about, well the truth is I was obsessing(sp?)
over the 510, and guess what time I punched out at? 5:10. No I wasn't trying
either just a random thing. I punched in from a break at 3:11 also. I get
the goose bumps!

It's all good.

--
Frank Roggeband   | 67.5 1600, 69 1600, 71 510, 75 710, 93 KingCab
Hamilton Ontario  | http://www.hwcn.org/~ae845/Profile.html