Re: Grinding Reverse

To: Eddie Sawyer <esawyer@vansd.org>
Subject: Re: Grinding Reverse
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:35:05 -0500 (CDT)
Ed,

I agree with the others who have posted, but there is one more thing that
can cause this. The pilot bearing is dry. The pilot bearing sits in the
center of the flywheel, in the end of the crank shaft. Its job is to take
the load off the end of the transmission input shaft. When this bearing
dries out the remaining grease dries out and causes some drag between the
crank and the input shaft. The bearing on mine is dry and I will hve to
pull the engine/trans to take care of it, but until it gets to where I
can't get into gear without grinding very often, I am putting it off. On
my car I have no problem getting into reverse, but do have problems
fighting the syncro for first gear from time to time.

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor/Future planner, CS Dept,
University of Texas, 1 University Station C0500,Austin, Tx. 78712-1188 USA