lightened flywheel

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: lightened flywheel
From: JOver4X4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 17:04:04 -0400
List,

My engine rebuild is progressing slowly but surely.  I am ready to send the
rotating assy out for balancing.  I am looking for a lightened flywheel before
I send parts to be balanced.  Does anyone have a U20 aluminum flywheel for
sale?  Another option would be a lightened steel flywheel.

Question:  If I lighten my own flywheel how critical is surface finish and
ensuring a radius on all cuts to avoid stress risers?  I may be too paranoid
but don't want my legs cut off if the thing grenades.  Should I stick with a
manufactured aluminum or lightened steel flywheel or is a lightened stock
flywheel ok (and safe) to use?  Does anyone use a scattershield or safety
blanket?  I will autocrossing the car and hope to get some track time locally,
however, the car will be used mostly on the street.

Your comments and recommendations are appreciated!

John Over
68 2000 (old style solex)