RE: axle shims

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: axle shims
From: Andy Pal <apal@burstein.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:08:58 -0700
There are some cross reference parts you can use from the 510 on the
rear brakes. Haven't tried springs, but the brake piston (plunger) has
a rubber seal. Mine was leaking on one side about 7 years ago, and of course
the dealership said "no luck" when trying to order the part. I punted,
got a 510 seal & rebuild kit and it works perfectly to this day. You
may want to check the drawings (diagrams) of the 510 rears to see if
that part of the brakes are the same. 510's still had manual adjusters
(like the 311's) so that may be a good sign.

510 parts can be substituted at times. ie: if your starter is misbehaving
or you have it in a shop, you can take a 510 starter (L series engine)
flip it upside down (so it rotates in the right direction). The
bendex is facing the frame and it works. The downside is the bendex
gets beaten to death against the frame, a 510 starter will last
about 6 to 12 months (full time driving).

A.