RE: Ball joints

To: "'Mike/Chris Clothier'" <mclothier@earthlink.net>,
Subject: RE: Ball joints
From: Graeme Suckling <graemes@saonline.com.au>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 13:00:42 +0930
Hi guys,
I assume you are trying to separate the tapered shaft from the
suspension?
The best tool I have found for this job is a Sykes-Pickavant(sp) screw
type ball joint separator.
In almost all cases it will not trash the ball joint rubber, and
coupled with CRC-556 and a MODERATE size hammer, will eventually
separate the parts.
I do not suggest using the purely percussion "pickle fork" separators,
they are very harsh on the parts.
see pics attached.
After 33 years, I'm sure the ball joint rubbers are a little sad, if
still there at all, but the use of the screw type tool will minimise
damage to the expensive to replace ball joints.
As an aside, I had a local guy re-juvenate my ball joints by injecting
them with a compound under extreme pressure.
They feel OK but they are not in service so I don't know how
successful this has been.
Anyhoo, it was cheaper than the alternative, NEW joints!
Regards,
Graeme Suckling
1965 SP310 - under construction DSOA Member # 112
1971 P510 4 door - daily driver, original owner, highly modified.
1972 PL510 2 door - in storage.
1973 HS30/240Z - re-building to 2003 specs.
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290669159
Adelaide, South Australia.

Need to know the best way to remove 33year old ball joints. I've
worked all
afternoon without results(BFH and air hammer). Thanks.
Mike
Norco, Ca.

Mike/Chris Clothier
mclothier@earthlink.net

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
DSC01489.JPG]

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
DSC01488.JPG]

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
DSC01487.JPG]

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
DSC01490.JPG]