chain noise cure

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: chain noise cure
From: Ray Cole <raycole@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 18:37:24 -0700
OK, thanks to all who recommended Gordan's site.  I pulled the valve cover
and sure enough there is slack in the chain and the 'evil L" has some small
groves, but not anywhere close to falling apart.

As I understand it the fixes are:

1.  shim the tensioner
2.  user heavier oil (I will switch from 10-40 to 20-50)
3.  make sure the anti drain back tube is in place or use a filter that has
that feature
4.  shim the cam towers

Shiming the towers is what I have a question about.  I had the head worked
on and it was shaved but I have no idea how much.  Would it be safe to shim
the towers not knowing how thick the head is?

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Ray

68 2000 that is pretty noisy on startup