She lives!

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: She lives!
From: Scott Haynes <sh92@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 21:02:22 -0400
I finally got her running this morning following my first engine re-build.
I was threatening to turn her into a beercan at the scrapyard, and what do you
know, fired right up!
Actually, I was getting kinda pissed and finally just held the gas pedal to the
floor and it slowwly started catching and suddenly, sprang to life. I had to do
some gymnastics to find something to block the pedal to keep it from dying, but
managed to get out and set the idle speed, adjust the timing, and set the fast
idle airflow. It still starts kinda hard (foot to the floor) but once running,
everything is perfect. I think I may have a bad battery.  Idles at 700, (Oil
pressure is zilch at idle), accelerates smoothly and sounds great.
Having gotten through all that, I noticed a couple of oil leaks.
One was from the distributer feed line. It will have to be replaced.
Also have some coming from the rear of the pan. Need to tighten up the bolts a
little.
The shocker was the drips coming from the bell housing. It is dripping nice,
shiny, clean green anti-freeze!  AArrrrggghhh!!
Has to be the freeze plug on the back of the block. Couldn't see any coming
from the back of the head.
It's time for a beer.

I installed Gary Boone's EI distributer. I can't say enough for the
completeness of the kit as well as his efforts getting it to me as quickly as
possible.  It works fantastic.
I also put on a reworked manifold and SU setup from Z-therapy. I am very
pleased with the results.  Both asthetics and function.
And finally Dean Apostle at Fairlady products spent a great deal of time
answering my numerous questions during the rebuild and supplying me with all
the necessary gaskets, bearings, and additional items.
Even though I have to pull the engine again, I couldn't be happier to hear it
run and be able to drive it again. (Even if it is only around the block!)
-Scott Haynes
68 2k work in progress
69 2k next project