Decapitated Roaster + Questions

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Decapitated Roaster + Questions
From: Ryan Bird<birdman@myrealbox.com>
Date: 27 Jul 2003 14:25:13 -0700
Hello All,

In an effort to help my car run a bit smoother, I decided to take care of a
few "outstanding" issues; A bad manifold bolt and a leaking head gasket.  I've
known about the manifold bolt for a while, (Something about the threads having
been enlarged on the head, with too short of a bolt to allow for the nut.) and
due to some bad torqing methods, I think I caused the head gasket issues.

While I was tempted to take the engine out to take care of my stripped reverse
plug, this isn't the week for that.  All told, the head came off nicely.  I
waited until 8:30 PM, (It is rather hot here in Arizona), and attacked.  Just
before 10:00 (PM) I was done, without any blood loss or other serious
problems.  Wow.  My thoughts on the process:  These cars were designed as
Right Hand Drives...  It would be a lot easier to work on the manifolds if the
drive shaft wasn't there.

I snapped two photo's of the block with the head off.  Cyl's 1 and 4 seem a
bit grimy, #2 and #3 look good.  It could just be the gasket that caused the
problem.

Engines History:  ~8,000 miles on a rebuilt engine (Mr. Kerr's Handiwork)  I
hope to have it all back together by this Saturday.  I will be ordering the
necessary gaskets, as well as taking care of the head bolt.  Any other advice
now that I have it out?  I am still a novice, so advice is greatly
appreciated.  Also, cleaning and re-installation methods would be
appreciated.

Pics of the block can be seen on my website, www.azroc.org/ryan  under the
Closeup page, click on the main image for a large (3mp) image.

Ryan Bird
'67 1600
Tempe, AZ