RE: (OT) Factory five type 65 Coupe

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: (OT) Factory five type 65 Coupe
From: "Brian Hollands" <Brian_Hollands@adp.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 14:53:26 -0400
>Real Cobras...with aluminum coachwork?
>
>-Marc

Yes.  There's also a company - don't remember the name - that builds
exact replica's with Aluminum bodies utilizing a former MIG (soviet
airplane) factory in Poland.  They found that the factory which was far
below capacity after the fall of the USSR had all the tooling and
expertise necessary to build aluminum bodied cars very precisely and
much more cost effectively than they could do anywhere in the West.  I
recall the only thing that was not exact was the diameter of one of the
bolts/bushings on the lower control arm or suspension upright.  They
also found that every cobra was a little different as they were hand
hammered bodies.  They used a real one to take all the CAD measurements
off of.  About $50K for an un-powered roller.

Roadster content.  They seem to be a handful at the autocross but as
with any autox situation, it come down to driver.  There was an FFR at
the last event I ran.  He turned a 46.633 on race rubber.  My best on
azenis was a 49.692 but I could have gotten down to 49 flat if I'd have
gotten one section of the course right just once.  Best CSP time was a
46.066 (faster than the A prepared Cobra) in an MR2 Spyder.  Bottom
line, they've got a hell of a lot of power for an autocross and it must
take a very good driver to keep it under control.

Brian '69 2000
Tampa, FL
web.Tampabay.rr.com/oilleak