RE: Spring rate

To: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@comcast.net>,
Subject: RE: Spring rate
From: Stan Chernoff <az589@lafn.org>
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2003 15:42:24 -0700
Gordon,

The subject of the messages and the comments were only about spring rate
and NOT anything extraneous like roll stiffness or effective wheel rate
which only attempt to beg the real question.  The same numbers that you
quoted for rate from the current catalog are also in the 1993 comp catalog
- 862 lb/in for front springs with the original part number.  Both the
original comp springs 54010-25510 and the new ones 54010-25510E (E is for
Eibach) were supplied by Nissan but who knows who "Made" the originals.

So, since you chose to comment about my questions, do you have any
calculations or measurements for the springs in question so that it can be
determined if there is a different rate for the new comp
springs(54010-25510E) than for the original comp springs (54010-25510)?
The question IS: are the rates the same or different and the question is
NOT how a change in rate is related to vehicle performance.  I will accept
your explanation that stiffness is a colloquial term for rate but I still
want to know if both designs have the same rate.  I was told by the person
that ordered the new ones that the rate was to be the same on both designs.
 Samples of the original ones were sent to Eibach so they could duplicate
performance with the same rate.  Do you have information that is different?
 The reason for domestic purchase was that the originals were not available
from Japan.

This has nothing to do with aluminum flywheels or part numbers assigned by
Nissan Comp since part numbers only serve to identify inventory and don't
do much to change performance.

One more time, are the rates of the New and of the Original springs the
same or are they different?  Without calculation or measurement it is all
speculation.  I think that there are lots of folks that would like to know
the real answer.

I have not made calculations or measurements so I can't speculate or reply
accurately to the earlier comment that advised you that Nissan has the
wrong information in some of their catalogs.

Stan
=========