Wiring Advice

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Wiring Advice
From: "Ian Miller" <ianmiller07@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 08:17:16 -0400
Ok, Just a quick check to be sure that what I want to do is cosher, before I
attempt it tonight (what a great Idea).

I have the GM 60 amp alternator on my 66.  I want to run some Hella H4
headlights, a new higher power electric fan, and fog lights.  Currently I
have a 10ga wire running from the alternator to the starter, a fuseable link
in the existing fuse box feed wire (thick white one), and a trunck mounted
battery.  So I'm not pulling all this extra current through my existing fuse
box I am going to install a secondary 4 fuse box on the passenger side
firewall.

I'm going to attach a lead from the back of the alternator to the new fuse
box (10ga).  Then I will use each of the 4 fuses to run seperate functions.

Fuse 1______________Left high and low beam
Fuse 2______________Right High and low beam
Fuse 3______________Driving lights
Fuse 4______________Fan

Now I also picked up a few relays at the local pepboys.  From fuse 1 I will
run 2 wires, one to the left high beam relay, and one to the left low beam
realy. Both relays will be switched using the existing headlight wires.  I
believe all the relays are normally open, and would then pull shut when the
switch was thrown.  I will repeat the same for the right side from fuse 2.
For the driving lights I will use one relay to operate both sides.  And the
fan will not have a relay for now since I only have 5 and it has a
thermostatic switch on it.

The only problem I see with this is my fan will run after I shut down the
car.  I don't really have a solution for this since I want to keep all of
the power for this fusebox seperate from the rest of the wiring harness.  I
guess I could install a relay that would close on a switched 12v source
fromt he ignition.

So what do you think of my plans?  What do our headlight connectors look
like will I need H4 connectors to put in my new lights?  If not are the
existing light harnesses enough to run the new bulbs?  Looking forward to
Watkins Glen, and still looking for lodging.

Thanks for the advice.
Ian Miller
66 1600 stroker
67 1600 rats nest