Re: Wiring Advice

To: Ian Miller <ianmiller07@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Wiring Advice
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 15:18:25 -0500 (CDT)
Ian,

I would run the wire from the new fuse box to the large post on the
starter. This would make things more solid, especially when the engine is
not running. I would also use a wire larger than 10 Ga. 10 Ga wire is
rated for 30 Amps, which may be a lower rating than what will be drawn
through it with everything running. I would use at least 8 Ga, and
probably 6 Ga wire.

Running relays as indicated should be fine.

One thing I would try is to connet the headlight relays so that they will
turn off when the key is turned off, even with the headlight switch on. I
can't count how many times I forgot and had a dead battery when I got back
to the car. (I leave my headlights on whenever I drive, night or day).

I have no problem with the engine fan running when the engine is off. I
put an electric fan on an old 244 Volvo and it cycled on and aff a couple
of times after the engine was turned off. Never had a problem with the
battery running down.

Peace, Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor/Future planner, CS Dept,
University of Texas, 1 University Station C0500,Austin, Tx. 78712-1188 USA