3-4K stutter

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: 3-4K stutter
From: Scott Haynes <sh92@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 16:12:16 -0400
Ok Listers,
I need some help. I finally got everything running enough to get me on the road
but she seems to stutter at about 3-4k rpm in second/third gear.  I have been
playing with the fuel mixtures, air cleaner on vs. off, and the #3 and #4 are
still a little rich but the mixture screw is all the way up. I guess I need to
open up the gap on my float a little.
My problem is that it seems to run fine up until about 3000 to 4000 rpm and
then it sputters and won't go any higher.  Pulls O.K. below that, not neck
breaking, just O.k.
I adjusted my valves after the cold setting when it was hot and found them to
be way off. After adjusting them hot, I now have a ticking noise that sounds
like a valve or two slapping up against a seat.
I had about .054" off the head from original, but shimmed the towers back to
speck within a few thousandths.
My question is do I need to keep playing with the mixtures or try and back off
the valve adjustments?
Adjusting the mixtures involves running it, pulling/inspecting/cleaning the
plugs, then pulling the air cleaner and back plate, making a half turn
adjustment, putting it all back together and going for another test drive.
While I love the test drives, it is very laborious (three penny word!).
Any advice?
-Scott Haynes
69 2000 SU Z-therapy carbs, Gary's EI ignition, engine fresh from rebuild