RE: Aluminum Flywheels

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Aluminum Flywheels
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 12:37:03 -0700
It partly depends on how light the flywheel is. I ran an aluminum flywheel
at one time that was only 6 lb (stock is about 20, I believe). It did
accelerate very quickly once you were under way but it was hell on the
street. It didn't have enough mass to pull the car off the line smoothly. I
developed a pretty sensitive left foot driving that thing. Even so, the
friction facing on the flywheel wore out in about two years. It was an
all-aluminum flywheel with a plasma-spray facing.

I now have an 11.5 lb Tilton aluminum flywheel in the car and I like it a
lot, but my driving style leans much more towards the "vigorous" than most,
so I'm willing to accept the penalties. It is also a steel insert in an
aluminum flywheel, so it will be more durable at the penalty of higher
weight.