Re: A few questions re/ alternator change

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: A few questions re/ alternator change
From: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 13:28:05 -0500
>Gary Boone:

> I need to upgrade my alternator output since I finally found an electric
> radiator cooling fan that works well on my '70 2000.  The cooling fan
> causes a little too much amp draw for my wimpy stock alternator.  With
> the increase in alternator output, I'm considering changing the stock
> ammeter to a dash voltmeter to avoid problems with the typical ammeter
> burnout.  I'd like the voltmeter to fit in the dash where the ammeter
> lives.  Has anyone done this and if so, what voltmeter will fit in the
> dash in the ammeter hole?

I like having both. Wonder if Auto Meter or someone else makes a combo
ammeter/volt meter that would fit reasonably well in the original spot, but
now that I think about it that won't work on a late dash will it?

As for avoiding  burning out the OEM ammeter, is there some way to use a
shunt to sample the current flow rather the brute force method of running
the entire electrical load through the factory gauge?

What fan are you using, Gary? I may need to know that, hopefully soon. It's
hotter that the hounds of hell down here again, and I think the humidity's
even higher. We're getting a lot of that up from the Gulf.

Ron

Ronnie Day
rday@hot.rr.com
Ronnie_day@acd.org