Re: A few questions re/ alternator change

To: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Subject: Re: A few questions re/ alternator change
From: Gary Boone <gaboone70@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 16:01:05 -0600
Hey Ronnie,
Thanks for your feedback.  Regarding the shunt on a bypass around the
stock ammeter, that is an alternative I'll do if I can't find a suitable
voltmeter. A combo would be great.  Anyone know of one that will fit in
a late dash?

The electric cooling fan I have is a Flex-A-Lite, Part FLX-120.  $95.95
from Summit Racing.
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=search.asp&type=bysummitpart&searchtype=both&part=FLX-120&x=14&y=11
I like the design because the fan has an integral shroud, and is a slim
unit for limited space.  I don't know how the dimensions of the shroud
would work out on a 510, but it's virtually a perfect fit for a 2L
radiator, covering the entire rad core with the rectangular shaped
shroud.  However I did have to reposition the radiator forward by 3/4"
using longer bolts and spacers on the rad support support channels. This
was required to clear the water pump shaft.  I guess I could have cut
the shaft shorter but wanted confidence the fan would work well before I
butchered the water pump.

I feel your pain about the Texas heat because I lived on the Texas Gulf
coast for 12 years.  We've had a hotter than normal summer here in
Wyoming but at least the humidity stays down around 20 percent.  "But
it's a dry heat, says the skeleton" :-)
Gary