Re: OT - case

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: OT - case
From: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:50:25 -0500
> this is for the shooting enthusiasts out there. I received a nice dewalt
> plastic drill case at work. they no longer needed it. I think it would make
> an excellent travel//storage case. I need the hard foam that will cushion
> but can be cut to shape. I also need to get the egg-crate style for the lid.
> where does one get stuff like that?

Measure the interior of the Dewalt case then go to a pro type camera store,
one that carries molded plastic and/or aluminium cases (Pelican,
Halliburton, etc.). Look for a case at least as big in the three dimensions
as the Dewalt. You might even find one that's close enough so you won't have
to cut it down. They should either have replacement foam "kits" in stock or
be able to order it for you.

Some of these fillers use "sort of" cut cubes about 3/8 on a side that you
can (carefully) pull out to cradle whatever you're going to carry. Others
use multi-layer sheets that you can mark (I use a Sharpie) and then cut as
needed. I prefer the solid sheets myself. To cut the foam I use either an
X-Acto knife with a long blade or an electric carving knife. Seriously, the
electric knife works great. Also, if you freeze the foam before you cut it,
the cuts are much smoother.

HTH,
Ron

Ronnie Day
rday@hot.rr.com
Ronnie_day@acd.org
Temple, TX
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)