Re: backfiring thru carbs

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: backfiring thru carbs
From: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 20:05:50 -0500
> My 1600 idles fine, but when I rev up the motor it backfires thru the carbs.
> I figured it was probably a timing issue, but when I check it it seems O.K.
> I took off the aircleaner and it thru a nice bright flame out to my fuse
> block...the car runs but stutters everytime it backfires. Is there something
> else I should check?

When you set the timing are you just setting it at idle or have you added
additional marks or pulley notches and set the maximum advance and let the
idle timing fall where ever it does as a result. Off the top of my head I
don't remember how the timing marks are on the R and U motors, but on the
L-series I've always added an extra notch on the crank pulley at the 20
degree position, then revved the motor (watching the timing marks with a
good timing light) until it stops advancing and set the total timing at
around 32 degrees by having the 20 degree mark on the pulley at the 12
degree mark on the tab.

Even if you don't use thing procedure you can still see how stable your
timing is and how smooth it advances by watching the mark(s) on the pulley.
Once the motor reaches max advance the mark shouldn't move, at least not
much. If it bounces around much there's slop in your distributor shaft, in
your rotor, somewhere.

If your timing is set properly and is stable it sounds like your mixture is
running way too lean.

HTH,
Ron

Ronnie Day
rday@hot.rr.com
Ronnie_day@acd.org
Temple, TX
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)