Big air compressors: intallation and care

To: datsunmike@nyc.rr.com, neuman@RadOnc17.UCSF.Edu,
Subject: Big air compressors: intallation and care
From: "Jim Cawrse" <nqrithjim@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 17:35:26 +0000
Sounds like you have the same machine I have.
For one thing, 7HP means 7 peak HP, and it will make the same amount of air
as a
machine that was rated for 3 or 4 HP 20 years ago....buts that OK, you will
still have
lots and lots of air.

I didnt bolt mine down to the concrete, just put it on rubber pads and
safety wired it to
the wall with lots of safty wire, so dont call OSHA on me.

Remove the stupid cheap drain valve on the bottom, and plumb in a brass 90
degree
fitting, some compression fit 1/2 inch copper pipe, and a compression fit
little ball valve,
then lead more pipe to a drain pan.  You want to drain this thing down after
every serious
use.   Plumb ordinary hardware store galvinized pipe out of the compressor,
3/4 inch,
leading slowly down to a T fitting.  Put a drain valve at the low end, and
put a stand pipe
upward to a 90 deg and onward to your pressure regulator, this will keep
water out of
your regulator.  Downstream of the regulator I have a giant water separator,
actually a
surplus 3500 psi hydraulic filter I bought surplus, with its own drain line.
  The absolutly last thing you
want when painting is a drop of water, and air cools when it gets reduced in
pressure, and water will
come out of the air.

Do not use a automatic tool oiler anywhere in the same line you might paint
with.  I just squirt oil
into my tools directly before each use, and before storage, this works
great.

I use chucks of 2X4 with cuts to hold the pipe as pipe hangers, you can wrap
the pipe with
rubber to absorb virbration, but the compressor is actually pretty quiet and
virbration free.

Other folks will have other ideas, this works great for me, for tools and
painting.
Best Regards,
Jim
Chesapeake, Virginia

>From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
>To: "Daniel Neuman" <neuman@RadOnc17.UCSF.Edu>,
><datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
>Subject: Re: air compressors
>Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 15:44:27 -0500
>
>Buy some insulating pads for the feet and use flexible lines to the air
>compressor and then run hard lines. You want to minimize vibration and
>noise.
>
>Mike

Gift-shop online from the comfort of home at MSN Shopping!  No crowds, free
parking.  http://shopping.msn.com