RE: Factory Roll Bar mounting

To: "Datsun list" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Factory Roll Bar mounting
From: "Mark and Susan Miller" <marknsuz@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 09:43:36 -0800
Sid wrote:
<<<I asked this before and got opinions, now I want to know from folks that
have had the bar mounted from new.  Was the carpet and rear shelf pad cut to
install the bar?  Does anyone have photos of the mounting?  Was the rear wall
upholstery cut?

I had a factory rollbar in my car when I got it.  I would NOT recommend trying
to emulate anything about it, unless you were looking to do it to be 'stock'
(but if you don't have the mounts now then ...).

Not to mince words but. . . it was a poorly mounted flimsy parody of a
rollbar.  It mounted to the floor where it curves against the side just below
the package shelf and to the back wall ('ice' wall as opposed to the firewall
on the front of the body tub) into the sheet metal.  There are sheet metal
straps with weld nuts for the bar to bolt into.  Nothing structural for it to
hold against.  The bar itself looked like 1" thinwall conduit.  I assume it
was there because of a legal reason or because someone's mom said the car
didn't look safe so a rollbar was put in to appease them.  I have no doubt
that if the car did roll the bar would do nothing beyond getting wrapped
around me.

To answer your question: the carpet was cut away (with finished edges, from
the mounts on the floor, there were no mounts on the package shelf, and the
vinyl on the rear wall was also cut back.

I would recommend looking at a well installed and well made bar.  This is not
that.

Having said all that, I'd be happy to shoot some pictures of it if you (or
anyone else) still wants.  Let me know.

Mark Miller
69 RHD Fairlady 2000 no longer with factory rollbar (but with a wonderful
factory hardtop!)