Super advanced timing?

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Super advanced timing?
From: "Daniel Neuman" <neuman@RadOnc17.UCSF.Edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 17:08:49 -0800
Hello All,
        I asked this question on the Jag list and got bubkis for an answer.
I was working on the Jag last night with the SBC350 and finally found the
timing marks and checked the timing.  I clamped off the vacuum line from the
dist to the carb and checked the timing.  It appeared to be at like 25btdc
at 900rpm! Huh!?!?! Is that even possible?  How did the car not blow up?
The engine would ping when I stomped on it but it still ran decently.  I set
the timing to 8btdc and had to crank the idle screw back up.  The car idled
fine.  I took it for a short spin around the block and it seemed to run a
lot better.
        That's the general way to check timing right? Clamp off the vacuum
line to the dist and set the idle and just check it with a timing light?  I
though maybe I had the inductive clamp on the wrong sparkplug wire but I
double checked it.
        Hmmmm...
                Daniel Neuman
                Oakland Ca