Re: Body Shop Paint Specifications (2nd attempt)

To: "datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Body Shop Paint Specifications (2nd attempt)
From: E Scanlon <escanlon@worldaccessnet.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 10:56:27 -0800
Regarding advising the body shop as to HOW to paint the car....I
heartily DON'T recommend it.  As to how MUCH paint to use, unless it is
an issue of price, I wouldn't go there either.

I'm presuming, of course, that you are going to a shop whose business is
painting cars.  If on the other hand you are dealing with someone who
will be painting it in their garage or shop then you might ADVISE but
definitely don't tell.

Having worked in a bodyshop, and having done many a custom paint job,
trust me, more often than not, the customer has little to NO idea of
painting.  I've had customers demand that I paint their car on a cold
and humid day ("We don't want the paint to dry too quickly."), or
conversely specify how much paint to use ("I don't think you'll
need more than a quart for 3 coats on a Blazer."), advise me on painting
Lacquer paints over Enamel without using a primer / sealer (" I don't
think the "added" expense is justified."), then demand that I guarantee
the job indefinitely.  Since I did not need the money that bad, I just
turned the jobs down.

There's an old expression that says "Don't teach your Grandmother how to
suck eggs.".  No one likes being told how to do a job by people who
DON'T know how to do the job.

Sorry to be a wet rag, just my 2".
Enrique Scanlon