Early Car Gas Tank Sender and/or Gage Question

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Early Car Gas Tank Sender and/or Gage Question
From: "Jim Cawrse" <nqrithjim@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 03:41:35 +0000
Dear List,
You might remember my ride from several weeks ago, where I complained about
breaking a front spring, discovering blown front shocks when invistigating
the spring, and the gas gage dropping to M/T after an exilerating rapid
acceleration from rest.  The thing I am working on now is the gas gage
problem.  Here is what I have done:

I removed the cover over the tank sender  in the trunk and removed the green
and red wire and
wire brushed the terminals and cliped them back on.  I noticed that the gage
is not all the way empty, but raises from below E to dead on E when the key
is turned on.
So....I went to the gas station with a 5 gallon can and filled it up with 93
octane and dumped it
into the tank, which was enough to fill it to the filler neck.  This means
it should have been around 1/2 before and full now.  Its same as before,
below E and then raises to E with the key turned on.

My plan now is to drive the car enough to lower the level a bit and then
disconnect the battery
(dont want sparks) and then remove and inspect the sender.  Since the gage
moves a little bit, I thing its probably OK and the problem is with the
sender.

----Does anyone have any other ideas?

----Can I short one of the sender wires to ground to make the gage go to
full?

-----If its the sender, has anyone bought a new one from one of our vendors
lately?
     (and how much, or are any available?)

TIA!!
Best Regards,
Jim
Chesapeake, Virginia
Early 67 pushrod 2L 5spd
1972 510 Sportwagon Project

Take advantage of our limited-time introductory offer for dial-up Internet
access. http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup