Ultra Shield latch and link belts...look cool, but some install

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Ultra Shield latch and link belts...look cool, but some install
From: "Jim Cawrse" <nqrithjim@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 03:59:22 +0000
Dear List,
Well, I have my new "heated and whacked" front springs and new front shocks
in, and since the
car is up on stands I greased its 21 grease fittings, changed the brake
fluid, adjusted the rear brakes, changed the oil and filter and tried to fix
the gas gage (see my other post on this one).

....And, I am putting in my Ultra Shield race belts on the driver side.  I
bought latch and link because they are cheaper than cam lock, and the ultra
shield guy said unless I was doing race track work with several drivers
changing into and out of the car, the latch and link would be fine.  He also
said they were ultimatly stronger and more reliable than cam-lock, so thats
what I bought.

I have to admit, that are very cool looking, and the latch and link is easy
and fast and looks very indestructable.  I have the lap belts bolted down to
the stock location.  I am planning to bolt the shoulder belts  down toward
the rear of the package shelf, since I dont have a roll bar.  Your supposed
to NOT bolt them to the floor, but somewhere higher, in a place where the
pull on them will be at the correct angle.  Rear of package shelf seems good
for this, unless I go even higher and put the anchors part way up the back
bulkhead.  My questions are:

----What have others done?
----I am not planning to use the crotch strap, I only autocross, and 4
points of restraint should be
    enough, does anyone have any thoughts on this?
----I have stock 67 non-headrest seats

These belts were a very resonable 72 dollars including shipping, so if they
work our I will buy another set for the passanger side.

TIA,
Best Regards,
Jim
Chesapeake Virginia
early 67 pushrod 2L  5spd
1972 510 sportwagon project

Take advantage of our limited-time introductory offer for dial-up Internet
access. http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup