Oh no! Rear axle driveshaft seal leaking

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Oh no! Rear axle driveshaft seal leaking
From: "Jim Cawrse" <nqrithjim@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 02:08:08 +0000
Dear list,
Thanks for all the great advice on the latch and link belts, I have them in
(drivers side only for now)
and they look and seem to fit great.  Need to go on a test ride, but first I
will try to fix the fuel gage, now that I am armed with a plethora of good
advice for that problem as well.

Now on to the emergent problem.  (I am both glad and sad that I take a very
good crawl under the car each year, glad to know whats right, and sad to
find things to fix) but anyway, there is a very nice spray pattern of
probable gear oil 90 degrees off axis from the driveshaft, just above the
rear U joint.  The pumkin was low on juice also.....so what I need advice on
is if there is anything
wierd involved in changing this seal, and if there might be a good part
number out there.
I certainly hope its just age working against the rubber, and not some worn
bearing causing
enough movement to destroy the seal, but will check carefully.  No unusual
noise before I
discovered this, although the car itself is quite loud!
TIA!
Jim
Chesapeake Virginia

Enjoy a special introductory offer for dial-up Internet access  limited
time only! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup