Re: Remember your first time?

To: <Geegc@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Remember your first time?
From: "C. Halsted" <chalsted@adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 08:44:53 -0500
I saw my first roadster in high school, didn't really make any impression. I
was into older, less expensive wheels already. had picked up a 59 Bugeye for
$150 and a 42 Indian Sport Scout for $55, both roadable. shared an old
farmhouse with a couple guys in college, Chris had a 2000 and told me I
should drive it some time. I was somewhere in the middle of a 64 Barracuda
Formula S, an AAR Cuda, a 70 GTO, and a 59 XK150 DHC, and (disrespectfully)
declined. something like "Whing-ning-ning-ning-ning no thanks, Chris" had
less than 2 grand total in these 4 cars. went thru a Z car phase, still
never saw a roadster. lived in upstate NY. then I had a VW camper and needed
carb parts. saw an ad in a local paper for VW parts, drove out in the middle
of nowhere up on a mountain and there was a guy building an ocean-going
trimaran so big there were living quarters in the outriggers. and he had VW
parts and this small white sports car. was kind of cool, took a look under
the hood and saw those Solexes.... well, I'd played with a bunch of cars but
my hormones really started running... threw a rod in the VW a few weeks
later and ended up swapping it even up for the roadster which had thrown the
timing chain. a good way to start in roadsters, was serial # 00096 (what a
coincidence, eh Gary?) I often described driving that car as the most fun
I'd ever had in a car that wasn't sitting still. tried to look up Chris, my
old roommate from college, to tell him I finally understood. unfortunately,
he was no longer among the living. ended up having to sell it out in
California when my job fell thru, if that hadn't happened would probably
have it still and never have picked up all these other roadsters trying to
recreate that visceral feel and the swarming bees sound of the Solexes
flowing air when you're cranking on it. will have another 67 2000 on the
road this spring but will be a nice driver rather than a show car. way I see
it, looking out over the hood cranking down the road there isn't much
difference.

Happy New Year Everybody,
Craig Halsted
roadsters