Re: interior restoration

To: jsylvester3136@sbcglobal.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: interior restoration
From: Tomet9@aol.com
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 11:27:51 EDT
Hi there!

   I recently did a budget makeover on the interior and used some spray dye
from Rustoleum on all the vinyl panels. This stuff is very durable unlike the
products of yester years, and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. It dries very
fast and and is very pliable as well, so easy to work with that I even
sprayed the black soft top. Once dry you really got to work to scuff it up (I
tried
on a scrap piece). As far as the rear deck rear bulkhead and the wheel wells I
made up some 1/8 inch fiber boards stenciled from the original panels and
covered them with some thin carpet material from Pep Boys. The thin carpeting
easily conforms to the curved surfaces when contact cementing. I didn't want
the
rear deck to be of a smooth vinyl for fear of things sliding around back
there. The carpeting also deadens the sound some. The only thing that I did not
spray was the seats as they have the fabric inserts. I had them reupholstered
match the vinyl. As for the aluminum kick panel on the door I carpeted that as
well, the threshold aluminum was polished up and left intact. The spray vinyl
dye also works great on all the plastic trim such as the surrounds for the
windshield. The only things left to their original black are the dash and
console, everything else is tan on mine.
   I hope this helps some with your future endeavors. I do have some pics if
interested.

                 Good luck!
                                  Tom 69/2.0 Red on Tan