Dim Headlights

To: <sandhoff@csus.edu>, "Datsun Team" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dim Headlights
From: "Jon and Maggie" <jm.rider@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 18:45:38 -0700
John,

That is the best explanation I've heard yet for what I believe is a
fundemental weak point in the roadster wiring.  It happened on my first
roadster and when I went to the junk yard to look for a good box, I noticed
that about 90% of the roadsters I looked at had the same problem.

Even with my current roadster, I'm both sensitive to and uncomfortable with
the amount of heat that comes off my fuse box when the lights are on.  There
is even a slight melting of the outer plastic jacket.  I need to get it fixed!

Lately I've also noticed that when I'm pushing the roadster and the lights are
on, they'll start to dim.  This only occurs at higher speeds such as passing
on a freeway.  My feeling is that this is also a symptom.  Once again, the car
is telling me something.... I need to get it fixed

When I say "I'm sensitive", some of you may remember a previous story I told
about the night my headlights went out on a late night driving though a lonely
and deserted canyon - the Ellensburg Canyon (also called the Yakima Canyon)...
It's something that you don't want to have happen!

Anyway, just wanted to let you know - thanks!  I fully agree with your
assessment of symptoms and cause.  I'm also surprized that the headlights are
routed through 2 fuses - on both of my roadsters (69s) there is only one
fuse?

Jon Rider
69 roadster then
69 roadster now