Re: Nasty metallic scraping sound (and Chicken Little)

To: Datsun-Roadsters List <datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Nasty metallic scraping sound (and Chicken Little)
From: "John E. Stromgren" <lutepisk@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 23:08:47 -0500
Hey, There, Roadster Owners -

Chicken Little, here, reporting with some chagrin, that, as it turns
out, the sky probably wasn't actually falling after all.

I took the excellent advice of several of you, and slipped off the belts
so that I could spin the water pump and alternator freely.  Gary Boone
wins the prize for guessing the actual problem that had Chicken Little
freaked out: one of the fins on the alternator fan was  longer than the
others, and was hitting the lower alternator mounting bolt.  I filed it
down, tried out the car, and all seems well again.  There was a rattle
that showed up at one point, but it wasn't constant, and I'm not afraid
of it, so I have a better chance of thinking that one through
rationally, whatever it is.

I amaze myself at how medieval my thinking is, when it comes to cars:
ignorance leads to fear, and wild imaginings.  A better approach might
be logical thinking, and systematic trouble-shooting, but I'm still
learning how to apply that to cars.

You folks are terrific!  There's no two ways about it.  I love this list.

Thank you, all, for your very quick, intelligent, kind assistance.

C.L.

(John Stromgren)
1970 2000
Portsmouth, NH