RE: Looking for hardtop comments & opinions

To: Roadster Listgroup <datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Looking for hardtop comments & opinions
From: Dan Neff <neffster189@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 10:45:07 -0700
Pete Peters wrote:
 >So, it's now time to celebrate the Pacific Northwest Rain Festival (Jan
 >01-Dec 31) and I see a hardtop on eBay. I cannot get all the softtop snaps
 >and things to match plus the front one on the passenger side got ripped-out
 >during the car's ride from San Jose to Seattle.
 >
 >I want the Roadster to be my daily driver, so I'm wondering how
 >weather-tight the softtop can be vs getting a hardtop plus any other softtop
 >and hardtop comments y'all have.

Mine's a daily driver too. I've never gotten my softtop front bow to
seal adequately driving over 70mph. Cruizin' at 75 in heavy rain (by
Colorado standards. I assume that's 'light drizzle' for the Pac NW :) ),
and stuff's going to get wet. If you're doing mostly 60 mph or less, I
think you can get a decent seal.

I've tried a couple of used hardtops. The one with the flat glass panel
in back and porthole sides is IMO a POS.  I think I might've gotten a
better front bow seal with it than my rag top, but the 1" gap with the
door windows all the way up, eliminates its usefulness. The Ebay one
looks like this style, but I there may be more than one mfr'r, so I
can't say how this one would work. If you can get it for $200, it's
probably worth trying it, just to get the extra latches! I tried a
Parrish (nicely curved/wrap-around rear window), and was pretty impressed.
If I could ever get my hands on one of those, I'd definitely like to try
it again.

dan neff     '69 2000
colorado springs,  co
http://www.wycroc.org