Exhaust Manafold vs Header

To: <datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Exhaust Manafold vs Header
From: "James Richards" <jmr407@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 20:31:21 -0500
Team Roadsters,

I have a 69/1600 that runs strong that I would like to make a semi daily
driver.  I have been tracing down an exhaust leak for the past few
months with not much luck.

Today I removed the exhaust manifold and found a crack in the "Y"
section of the manifold.

Questions:

1.  Has anyone had any long term success welding an exhaust manifold?

I was considering replacing it with a header from one of our vendors but
he said the started would have to be replaced with a gear reduction
model.

2. The starter that is on the car now is only 5 3/4" long do I have the
gear                  reduction type starter?

3.  Has anyone installed one of the popular stainless steel mufflers
that are very popular with the new Hondas?  They have a nice throaty
sound during acceleration but quite down when cruising?

Any input would helpful,

James Richards
jmr407@mindspring.com